|
|
|
Friday, December 01, 2006 |
From STOMP
3:33 PM
Link: http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost769.aspx
Ex-student questions barring from school
STOMP received this email from an ex-student of Fuhua Secondary School, after he was banned from visiting the school.
I'm writing this because I want to get an answer from the school about why I am not allowed to visit my ex-teachers and friends, unlike other ex-students. I emailed the school earlier to explain to me why, but I have yet to receive an answer.
I am a former student and my CCA was badminton and there is a camp every year. Last year, I was involved in a police case and was put on bail. I tried to go back to the school to visit the teachers and coaches. But upon reaching the school, the security guard told me that the HOD of CCA had disallowed me from entering. I then went to see him to find out why. He told me I had a police case and was classified as a potentially dangerous character. I was involved in unlawful assembly. I left, feeling puzzled and sad.
The government is currently promoting the yellow-ribbon project. Schools are education institutions that teach students to be useful people in society. If the school can't accept me as an ex-student to revisit the school, how can society reaccept those people who have criminal records?
I was sentenced to probation by the judge. Probation is given to first-time offenders to allow them to change for the better. And schools are supposed to nurture students to be good citizens. My police case is already over and the school is still biased against me. How can a school do this to a former student when I helped achieve some awards in Badminton?
I don't have a criminal record and this year I tried to visit the school again and I was denied entry. This is unfair to me. Other ex-students could bring friends from other schools.
I am hurt to be labeled 'potentially dangerous'. There are cameras to track my movement so why can't I enter?
It's the school holidays now so I wouldn't disrupt or disturb lessons. So why can't I enter? Link: http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/viewPost770.aspx
Fuhua Sec. responds to ex-student
This is Fuhua Secondary's response to the ex-student's letter to STOMP:
Like all schools, many of our ex-students return to the school to help and contribute in various activities and events or to visit friends and teachers to re-live treasured memories. Our school welcomes this and, also proactively reaches out to our ex-students.
However, the school has the important responsibility of ensuring that the well-being and safety of our students are safe-guarded at all times. Under certain circumstances and situations, the school does exercise caution and reservations such as:
1) When ex-students arrive in school in inappropriate clothes and hairstyle which may set a bad example to current students.
2) When the school has reason to believe that the ex-student and group are engaging in gang-like activities (eg. recruiting other students to join such activities.)
3) When ex-students behave poorly and pose a threat to the smooth execution of school activities and events.
4) When there is an organised activity with specific objectives (eg. a camp) and the ex-student has no specific role in this activity.
In matters of conduct and discipline, school has policies and guidelines which rely heavily on positive reinforcement and counselling. The school certainly believes in giving any student or ex-student the chance to turn over a new leaf. With regards to this particular case, this ex-student's behaviour raised the school's concerns for the well-being and safety of our students. Hence, we believe that it was necessary to exercise caution at the moment. However, we will consider lifting the sanction if we are satisfied that this ex-student would not jeopardise the well-being and safety of our students. |
0
comment
|
permanent link |
|
|
|